what is the purpose of a vpn?. If You Find The Answer Of This Question Then This Article Is Definitely For You. In This Article We Will Discuss purpose of a vpn. So Without Wasting Time Let’s Know About The VPN.
what is the purpose of a vpn?
The purpose of a VPN is to allow the two computers or networks to talk to each other on a transport media that is not secure.
To do this the VPN uses a computer at each of two or more points at different ends of the transport media as the Internet. Each point at the end of the transport media (Internet) is called a point of presence (POP).
In this example, the transport media is the Internet. In the example below of our company “Boats and More, Inc.” There are four offices. One in Boston, St. Petersburg, Seattle, and San Diego.
The owner wants a networking setup so that he can access the 4 network locations via the Internet at any time. He wants to protect his data because it is confidential. Their office networks are set up on 10.1.x.x, 10.2.x.x, 10.3.x.x and 10.4.x.x.
Each of the four networks, when they require to, send data packets to one of the other networks, will route their data packets to their respective routers, A, B, C, or D. e.g. For, if the computer on 10.1.
The xX.X network in Boston is required to send a packet to a computer with an address 10.3.6.1 on the network in San Diego. At 10.3.xx, it will send packets to its router, a. Network number, since 10.xxx. Reserved for private use, the packet cannot be sent from computer A with 10.3.6.1 as its intended address.
This is because routers on the Internet will not recognize this address as a valid destination. IP masquerading will not solve this problem since the computer on the other end would have no way of knowing that a packet that it didn’t send was a masqueraded packet. Tunneling is a technique used to solve this problem.
Tunneling means that the full IP packet sent from Boston to San Diego must be attached to another IP packet. This new packet will have a legal Internet IP address.
Therefore, Machine A will take the packet it needs to route (already the destination address is 10.3.6.1) and roughly the following:
- Machine A will extract the IP packet.
- Machine A will encrypt the packet.
- Machine A will wrap the original IP packet in a new IP packet with the destination address 126.96.36.199, which is the correct Internet address of machine C.
- Machine A will wrap the new IP packet into an Ethernet packet and send it over the network.
- The packet will be routed through the Internet until it reaches machine c.
- Machine C will extract the external IP packet.
- Machine C will determine if the IP packet contains another IP packet and extract it.
- Machine C will decrypt the packet.
- Machine C will check the destination address of the internal IP packet, wrap it in an Ethernet packet with the correct Ethernet address, and send it to the internal network on its port 10.3.1.1.
what is VPN security?
In addition to tunneling, VPNs are required to provide for authentication, confidentiality, data integrity, and key management. This is important if you need to keep your data transmission media, secret. The ability to send data is easy, but the security necessary measures make VPNs a more complex subject. The security functions that are covered are:
* Authentication: Ensuring the data is from where it is supposed to be from.
* Privacy: Preventing any third party from reading or understanding the data.
* Data integrity: Ensuring that the received data was not altered by any third party that it is correct.
* Access Control: Keeping third parties without authorization from accessing your data or network.
Essentially the parts of the system that make the data secure will have to encrypt the data and provide a method to decrypt the data. There are many different encryption formulas, usually, the handling of decryption is usually done by providing a “key” to the party that decrypts the data.
Keys are secrets shared between two parties that allow one party to pass encrypted information to a third party and not be able to read it. This is similar to a house or car key that only allows your family members to enter the house to use the car, the key is a digital code that will allow the other party to decrypt the data, digital The code must be long enough to hold any third-party code capable of predicting hiking.
Key management can be a complex subject as there are many ways to implement it, but it needs to be secured so that no third party receives, accepts, or guesses the key.
There are several different protocols to support each of the above functions. Each ha has various advantages and disadvantages, including the fact that some are more secure than others.
If you are going to use VPN as a data exchange method, and you want secure data, then you know better about your employees what they are doing (knowledge of the strengths of the protocol weaknesses and how to fix them properly How to apply), or sooner or later, you may get burned.
User access rights and key management or authentication systems
two key management protocols are:
1. RADIUS: Remote Authentication Dial-in User Service is used for clients to dial in to connect to other computers or networks. It provides authentication and accounting for PPTP or L2TP tunneling.
2. ISAKMP / Oakley: Internet Security Association and Key Management Protosit authentication uses one of the following three features to authenticate users.
- Something you have as a key.
- Something that you know as a mystery.
- Something like your fingerprint.
More than one means of authentication is recommended for strong security.
This Is Our what is the purpose of a vpn? I Hope You Find Your Answer About purpose of a vpn. If You Have Any Suggestions Or Questions Related To This Article, Then Definitely Tell In The Comment, We Will Reply To You As Soon As Possible.
Source: I&WT, Wikipedia
Our Suggested Article’s
ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES OF GADGETS IN OUR LIFE
What To Do If Mobile Is Stolen??
How To Choose Best Mobile Camera
How To Choose Best Processor For Mobile??
Best Top Ten Printers For Home & Office Use In 2020
How To Send Stickers In WhatsApp??
What Is Domain Name Servers?What Is Ip Address?? And Ip Address ClassesWhat Is A Modem? & Types Of ModemBest Wireless Earphones Under Rs 2000 -Tested & ReviewedConnecting To The Internet In Windows PcWhat Is Internet Definition And Evolution Of The Internet
Ten Best Bluetooth Earphones Under 1000 Rupees -Tested & ReviewedTen Best Wireless Mouse Under 1000 Rupees – Tested & ReviewedThe Best Mouse Under 500 Rupees – Tested And ReviewedBest Wireless Mouse Under 500 Rupees – Tested And Reviewed